Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

What is.. Love?

Recently I've been having a tough time getting to sleep. I don't know what it is, (maybe the fact that I've been sleeping in lately, or using the computer before I go to bed), but it really has taken a toll on me. I'm pretty sure I yawn in class at least 20 times every hour (which is awkward when the teacher glances in my direction).

Anyways, a friend recently reminded me of something that my pastor had recently said that helps him when he can't sleep. He suggested taking a passage from the bible, a Psalm perhaps, and taking it word by word and just meditating on each word; thinking about what that word really means. So, a couple nights ago I tried this, and I can't remember when I fell asleep, but it did help. I don't even think I made it through the whole verse. As I was reading 1 Corinthians 13 today, I mulled over the verses about Love (the ones that are often cited at weddings- the 'Love is patient, love is kind' ones) and I think that it is important to break down these verses and really look at what the words mean. I think that this passage is often used without really digging deeper into the meanings, and I believe that there is a lot behind these verses that can be applied to our own lives. 

Before the 'Love is patient, love is kind' verses, 1 Cor 13:2 says that "...if I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing". The bible emphasises love so strongly as something that we cannot live without embracing. In verse 4, it (as some of you probably know) says, "Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud." And stop there, for a minute. I, for one, know that I definitely struggle with all of those things. I am not patient or kind all of the time and I can definitely think of times when I have envied, boasted, and not been humble. In fact, I struggle with these things on a daily basis. The other day when I was at the grocery store,
this couple had their shopping cart in front of the self-service area that I needed to get to. They didn't realise this until the self-service supervisor asked them to move their cart. At that moment I thought in my head, 'How could you not realise that your cart was directly in front of where I needed to go? Hello!' Both of them immediately and sincerely apologised and I kind of just brushed it off, annoyed with the whole situation. 

But really, Kirsten, it wasn't that big of a deal. Come on! Right after that minute, and yes, this series of events lasted probably less than a minute, I felt really bad. I thought, 'wow, how impatient, rude, and unforgiving of me'. If I had exercised a little more patience and kindness and more humility, I could have acted more graciously. I seriously felt bad for the rest of the night. I replayed the situation over and over in my head thinking about what I could have done differently. And I know this doesn't seem like a  major situation, but I think, as someone mentioned to me, that this was God's way of teaching me a lesson. I really need to incorporate these aspects of Love into my life. If I want to be a loving person who is an example of Christ's love, then I need to become more patient and kind, and less envious, boastful and prideful. It is the little things that matter sometimes, like a simple reply of 'that's alright' that can make the difference and show His love. 

So, that is my thought on Love for the day. 

What are your thoughts on Love??

*Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment