Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Today is unique! It has never occurred before and it will never be repeated. At midnight it will end, quietly, suddenly, totally. Forever. But the hours between now and then are opportunities with eternal possibilities" -Charles R. Swindoll 
 As I was reading through Psalm 90 this morning, I was reminded about the truly short length of our lives. Moses compares our lives to a blade of grass that is new and vibrant in the morning when it 'springs up', but by night it is 'dry and withered'. This is a perfect example of the above quote, which coincidentally happened to be on the page of my journal that I wrote on this morning. Each day that we have is an opportunity to live to the fullest and be joyful, and to make the most out of it. 

   I've been thinking about this a lot as my grandparents are getting older, and it has made me realise that spending time with family and making time for them is an important part of our lives. I feel like I definitely don't do this enough and I tend to rush around worrying about things that don't even matter, like something my mom said to me that upset me or something my brother did that made me mad. Honestly, in the scope of things, these instances are minor, and frankly, don't matter. Just because my brother ate my leftovers from Olive Garden, doesn't mean that my life is going to end (as much as I was looking forward to that breadstick for lunch). But seriously, I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and somewhere to sleep. I am so blessed. I don't want to spend days being upset at my family or being so angry that I keep reliving those moments, making it more difficult to forgive and forget about them, especially when they don't even matter. The above quote is such a good reminder that days are short, but we have the opportunity to really make a difference on a daily basis. 


   Whether it's practicing kindness, gentleness and humility, or caring about people in our lives and making them feel loved. I feel like I get so side-tracked by what is happening in my life that I overlook the feelings and needs of those people who are closest to me. Spending hours on Facebook, Twitter, and... Pinterest is fun and addicting, but really, as much as I would love to spend hours on these sites, there are probably more productive things I could do during my free time. 

   My point is that the values in society today can be quite superficial. Since the internet has been introduced, much of our time is spent on there. I'm not saying that computers and internet are bad; they can be used for really great things, like communication with friends & family that live hours away. I'm saying that I, personally, spend way too much time doing pointless things on the internet when I could be doing things that enrich and help people, that could be productive, rather than spending hours repinning these amazing-looking designs for houses that I won't even be able to afford for at least ten more years.. or ever. I have decided that I really need to spend my time being more productive, and having a limit on social media might not be such a bad idea, especially since I have 4 classes to worry about as well. 

    So my goal, from now on, Monday-Friday for starters, is to spend only 1 hour/day on the internet (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, editing pictures, etc). We'll see how it goes--

   --The possibilities of today are endless. 



*Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment