Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Alaskan Adventures


With my family spread out in Hong Kong, Colorado, and me currently living in Australia, we decided to go to Alaska for our summer week-long vacation. 7 days, 2 cities, 5 people, 1 motor home, lots of fishing and sights to see. When we arrived at the airport at 1:00am, it was still light outside; not during-the-day light, but it definitely looked like the sun had just set. This new light-after-midnight excitement led to some extremely late nights of fishing, making s'mores and hiking around. 




After driving a couple hours to the first campsite, we tried fly fishing for salmon (aka me trying to cross a river = inevitably getting soaked). My brother, Chris and I spent hours chasing and trying to hook this one little guy, but he was far too smart for us.. We did however see a number of big fish jumping around us (if only I had thought to bring a net). Even though we didn't spot any grizzly bears on the river, I did happen to see a moose in the woods while we were driving back to Anchorage. On a side note, in my eagerness to be the first to spot Alaskan wildlife, I thought I saw a bear. Turns out, after driving back, it was a tree.. a very-brown-and-bear-shaped-tree might I add.

Did you know that  ALASKA's  state animal is the Moose??

We also went on a Halibut fishing charter, which was.... interesting to say the least. The waves were HUGE. Literally, I don't think I've ever seen bigger waves in my life. And let me tell you, those sea sickness pills that are supposed to keep you all fine and dandy, well.. they DO NOT WORK, especially in rough seas. I spent 3 of the 5 hours over the bin (which was slightly better than the 4 that CJ endured). But, I did however catch 2 Halibut which was exciting and difficult to say the least. Those  fish are ridiculously heavy! Worth the fight though :) Halibut is delicious and I definitely recommend it! Ask me for an amazing recipe if you get your hands on some!

Sea you soon! (see what I did there??)

xoxo
Kirsten


No comments:

Post a Comment