Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What is Faith?


This verse captures entirely what FAITH is about. There are constantly times in our lives when we have to have FAITH even when we can't see the whole picture. 

Martin Luther King Jr., possibly one of the most persevering persons in history, once stated that 

"Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase"


I love this quote of his because it encompasses everything that he lived for, taking steps towards equality despite not seeing most of the results. King had faith that one day that people would not be judged based on the color of their skin and wholeheartedly took action to make that happen. While he sadly didn't get to see the results of all the changes that resulted from his legacy, he continued to push for civil rights and ultimately had an incredible impact. 

This is exactly the same with our relationship with God. He calls us to persevere, trust in Him and His word, and obey His commands despite not being able to see His entire plan for our lives. This is something that I continually struggle with, but am working on, on a daily basis. Like many people in the bible (Abraham, Noah, Rahab, Stephen, Mary & Joseph, Jesus, to name a few), having FAITH takes courage, commitment, and trusting that God has a perfect plan for each and every one of our lives. 

"For we live by faith, not by sight" -2 Corinthians 5:7


*If you are interested in further reading about how people trusted God completely in their FAITH, I would highly recommend reading Hebrews 11:1-19 


*Now I have to tell you the story behind this picture.

While I was in Hawaii, I met a guy who offered to take show me around the island. We hiked down to these incredible wave pools (pictured above) with waves over 10 feet high when they crashed on the rocks. As we were sitting in these tide pools, I was seated on a rock, putting my faith in this local guy who would obviously not let us get too close to the danger of the majestic waves. However, as soon as the tide got stronger the waves suddenly got bigger, they knocked me over into one of the tide pools, throwing me against the rocks. I suffered a bleeding hand and scratched up back along with various bruises. Clearly the faith that I had put in this guy who I had only met on the trip, did not protect me.

The moral of the story is, people will let you down in life. God will not. Despite the trials of life, He will protect and guide you, always looking out for you. He wants the best for you. This guy, let's call him 'J' for now, was not looking out for me when he took me so close to the waves that put me in danger. But if you put your faith in God and His plan for your life, He will never leave you or forsake you. He desires the best for your life and unconditionally loves you. After all, He is our creator.

My challenge to you (and to myself) is to trust God completely and put your faith in Him. Trust that He has the best in mind for you and will not forsake you or let you down.





No comments:

Post a Comment