Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful for Thanksgiving





It's that time of year again. Autumn, Thanksgiving, and preparing for Christmas. Although I'm not a huge fan of the transition from hot summer weather to the freezing cold days of a Colorado winter, I do enjoy the perks of these holidays. The first snow is always exciting to me – the pure white snowflakes covering everything in sight, frosting the green pine trees and gracefully dancing in the air– everything outside at peaceWatching snow fall truly captivates me. 


"snowflakes covering everything in sight... everything outside at peace"

It is one of nature's most beautiful abilities and one of God's most beautiful creations. It emulates a perfect atmosphere for sipping hot chocolate by the fire and listening to Christmas music. I can also attest to being snowed in with 4 feet of snow just outside my front door– an invitation to go sledding in the street, build snowmen and snow tunnels, and the excitement of having a day or two off of school. As sad as I am to be missing some of these festivities, I am thankful for the opportunity that I have to get a university degree and spend time with lovely friends in a beautiful country. 


"an invitation to go sledding in the street, build snowmen and snow tunnels, and the excitement of having a day or two off of school"

And for those who are pondering why I am missing Thanksgiving (I have had a couple friends who have asked me what Australians do for Thanksgiving), sadly, Australians do not celebrate this wonderful American tradition (although Halloween is becoming more popular here, so perhaps in the future, Australians will adopt our Thanksgiving traditions? ). If you recall, it was the pilgrims and indians in Plymouth, Massachusetts who shared the Thanksgiving Harvest. Check out a brief history of Thanksgiving here! Did you know that it was President Abraham Lincoln that declared Thanksgiving as a national holiday?? 


"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His love endures forever" –Psalm 107:1

As I read all of the Thanksgiving statuses on Facebook and see the pictures of turkey, cranberry, and mashed potatoes on Pinterest, I can't help but get excited. I am so thankful for all of the years that I have spent time with my family at Thanksgiving and all of the wonderful memories (playing hide-and-seek, sitting at the 'kids' table, playing football, and eating leftovers the next day). Even though I'm spending this Thanksgiving away from my family, I am still so thankful for all of the blessings God has given me. 


What are you most thankful for in your life??

Happy Thanksgiving!

xoxo,
Kirsten

1 comment: